Rooibos is a herb that is the Afrikaans word for Redbush.
Apparently, the Redbush story began around 200 years ago in the Cedarberg region of the Western Cape of South Africa.
The health benefits of rooibos were discovered in 1968 when a South African mother found that it soothed her young child.
- Redbush tea is caffeine-free, so you can drink it any time and it won’t keep you awake.
2. It is refreshing and thirst-quenching and can be drunk throughout the day.
3. It is also ideal for anyone who is watching their weight as it contains no calories and has a natural sweetness so it can be enjoyed without sugar.
4. It has also been known to help relieve nervous tension and stomach and bowel irritation. It can also ease the symptoms of urinary tract infections, such as cystitis.
5. Rooibus is also known for helping with skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis.
6. It can also be used as a base for marinades, stews and casseroles as well as in cakes.
7. It’s like green and black tea and has been found to be rich in antioxidants and flavonoids.
In fact, Rooibos tea has been found to have as much as 50 times more SOD than Green Tea. It also has other antioxidants not found in other teas. Always remember to check with your GP first if you decide to take it for medicinal purposes.