Do you fancy trying a new hobby this winter? The number of people taking up a new hobby during and after the pandemic shot up. They can cost a bit or nothing at all it just depends on your choice of hobby.
Here are some of the most popular ones this year…
1.Reading – Many people like curling up with a good book in front of a fire on a winter’s night. Reading is affordable (or free) and allows individuals to discover new and intriguing worlds, it’s a universal pastime that’s loved by people worldwide. I joined a local book group which has got me back into reading lots more.
2. Music & Singing – Music they say is the language of love. Singing in choirs is now suitable for everyone and is even suggested as a complementary therapy to help manage chronic pain.
3. Cooking has been popular for a long time but now with access to many more gift vouchers for cooking experiences, it has grown into a massive business. There are also lots and lots of online cooking courses which means you do not even need to leave your home.
4. Walking is a perfect joint-friendly alternative to running which burns calories and improves your cardiovascular health. The best part is that you don’t need a designated place for it – just get out of your home and start walking or you could join a local walking group.
5. Creativity is universal, and so is the art of crafting. There are many avenues crafters can take, from knitting and crocheting to paper crafts and beading. The internet has opened up a whole new world to craft enthusiasts everywhere; if supplies can’t be found locally, they can easily be found online. Craft websites and message boards offer inspiration when creativity is running low. I absolutely love paper crafts and knitting.
6. Bird Watching has become another very popular hobby which draws people young and old, making it an excellent intergenerational activity. Being outside in the wilderness is also incredibly positive for your mental state, so bird-watching can have a very positive impact on you in many ways.
7. Art -Art is a totally relaxing therapy and can again be done at home with lots of free online videos and tutorials or you could join a local art group. Most villages have an art group.