Twelve fascinating facts about tea from the UK Tea and Infusion Association
- Tea breaks are a tradition that have been with us for approximately 200 years.
- 80% of office workers say they find out more about what’s going on at work over a cup of tea than any other way.
- By the mid 18th c. tea replaced ale & gin as the drink of the masses to become Britain’s most popular beverage.
- Tea contains half the amount of caffeine found in coffee.
- The number of recommended cups of tea to drink each day is 4, this gives you optimal benefit.
- Tea was created more than 5000 years ago in China.
- Tea is a natural source of fluoride that can help protect against tooth decay.
- The first book about tea was written by Lu Yu in 800 A.D
- Tea firstly appeared in Europe thanks to Portuguese Jesuit Father Jasper de Cruz in 1560
- 96% of all cups of tea drunk daily in the UK are brewed from tea bags.
- Apart from tourism, tea is the biggest industrial activity in India.
- 98% of people take their tea with milk, but only 30% take sugar in tea